Thursday, October 21, 2010

ANCIENT STORY:
GRACE AND SIN

Grace and sin just burst right in,
changing everything – at least
for a moment, a day, a month,
sometimes a lifetime, then it’s back
to plain donuts – dull traffic –
nothing really happening in my life.

Then sin slips in again with snake
rattling suggestions – what if’s?
Myopic me bites into the forbidden.
I say the wrong thing. I hurt another.
I’m selfish, self centered – blind –
just seeing my side of need –
hunger – thirst – empty – fill me. (1)
Then grace knocks in my night.
I’m blinded by Light on the road
to my Damascus. I hear my
“Take and read” moment in the garden.
And I scream, “Who are you I’m hurting?”
Then the whisper: “Jesus Christ.”
It’s you again and again and again. (2)
(1) Genesis 3:1-13
(2) Acts 9:19; Confessions of
Augustine, Book 8, Chapter 12;
Romans 13:13

© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2010

No comments: