Friday, September 3, 2010


WHY DON’T THEY?


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 22nd Friday in Ordinary Time is, “Why Don’t They?”

One of the most basic traits of human beings is to see others – and think or say, “Why Don’t They?”

• Why don’t they use their blinker when switching lanes?
• Why don’t they cut their lawn?
• Why don’t they brush their teeth?
• Why don’t they deport all these illegals?
• Why don’t they go to church?
• Why don’t they go on a diet?
• Why don’t they mind their own business?
• Why don’t people think the same way I do?

It could also be the reverse in all these comments, “Why do they?”

• Why do they drive like that?
• Why does he eat so much?
• Why do they make so much noise when they eat?
• Why do they dress like that?
• Why is she so lazy?
• Why is he so crazy?
• Why do people die when it’s so inconvenient for me?
• Why does God allow this?
• Why does God work this way?

TODAY’S READINGS

Today’s gospel – Luke 5: 33-39 – has the same old, same old, Pharisees and Scribes, the ultra religious and the ultra educated in his day, saying to and about Jesus, “Why are his disciples the way they are? Why don’t they fast like John the Baptist and his disciples fasted?”

Why are you going around doing what you’re doing? Why are you going around saying what you’re saying?

And Jesus answers with one of his great answers, “When you’re at a wedding – you eat and drink – and celebrate. So when my friends and disciples are with me, we celebrate. I’m the bridegroom. I’m celebrating my marriage to you. I love you. I see you as one with me. I see you as God’s people. Rejoice. Put a smile on your face. Dress up. Wake up! Wise up. Lift up your hearts!

In today’s first reading from First Corinthians 4: 1-5, Paul talks about judging.

He was a Pharisee – and one of the worst offenders – in judging others and wanting them not to do certain things and to do certain things. And if they don’t, I’m going to get you! Paul was in on Stephen’s stoning (1) – and did you know they are still stoning people today? Why do they do that? Why don’t they hear Jesus’ message: Let the one without sin cast the first stone.” (2)

WHEN I WALK INTO A ROOM

All of us have to ask ourselves, “What do I want people to think, feel, be like, when I walk into a room?”

To be honest I don’t want to be noticed. However here I am a priest – and the priest is up front – so I realize I’m noticed. But when I say Mass – when I preach – I do not want to be noticed. I want two people to be noticed: God and the person who is in your skin and your clothes today. Okay I also hope we all notice our neighbor as well.

When I say Mass, when I preach, I don’t want anyone to say: “Here comes the judge.”

If anyone says that about any one of us here, I would guess that person wouldn’t know that – because you don’t tell judges: “You drive me nuts. Every time you walk into a room, I feel you’re judging me!”

Ugh and fiddlesticks on that life posture.

When I say Mass – I want to celebrate Mass.

Of course I have my collection of, “Why don’t they?” and “Why do they?”

There are still some people who refuse to give the sign of peace. I say to myself, “Why don’t they at least bow, wave, smile, and whisper a ‘Hi’ to the person next to them at Mass – instead of keeping their eyes down and not acknowledging anyone around them?”

Why do people not move in – in the benches at church – instead of stepping out into the aisle – when someone else wants to sit in that bench? I know they might have to go to the bathroom. Or they have claustrophobia and want an aisle seat? Or they want to be able to sneak out right after communion?

Church … driving … politics … meetings … neighbors … kids … grandkids … the kids today … Muslims … the Spanish … the Blacks … the old … the rich … the poor … the president … people who put signs on their lawns … priests …. popes …. bishops … preachers … why don’t they? Why do they?

SUGGESTIONS FOR HOW TO DEAL WITH WHAT YOU DON’T LIKE

Close your eyes. Tickle yourself. Change the subject. Laugh. Become philosophical. Become a stand up comic. Write essays. Look in the mirror. Video tape a recording of yourself – and then watch the video tape of yourself that day. Athletes do it all the time to improve. Write letters to the editor and then rip up the letters….

There are two kinds of people: those who see life as a courtroom and those who see life as a wedding banquet.

CONCLUSION


Today – September 3rd – is the feast of St. Gregory the Great.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if we had a preview of our wake and funeral and all the people there are thinking: Wasn’t she great? Wasn’t she such a nice person? Wasn’t he a great guy?


Wouldn’t it be horrible if they all thought inwardly? What a pain! Why didn’t he or she see life as a great banquet and enjoy the dance of life!

Picture on Top from Town Hall Square in Tallinn, Estonia - summer 2009.

(1) Acts 7: 55 to 8: 3


(2) John 8: 7

No comments: