Thursday, April 22, 2010



EARTH DAY :
OPTIMIST OR PESSIMIST?


Is it worth it to promote, "Earth Day",
to remind us that every day,
we need to keep this our living room
clean and healthy? I wondered about that
as I walked down the street
this afternoon: “Today did anyone

hesitate to toss an empty
coffee cup in the street
because it was "Earth Day"?
Did anyone pick up a crushed
aluminum can against a curb –
or an empty plastic bottle?
I did – but there was too much stuff
tossed just anywhere – on street
and sidewalk. Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!
But then I spotted sparkling diamonds
of clear water on green shoots.
This made all the earth glisten
translucent green for a moment.
I rather be an optimist. I would
rather believe that words like, "Earth Day"
have an impact - like the words,
"Do I see the glass half full
or half empty?" have always
had an impact on people.

After all, "The earth is full
of the goodness of the Lord." [1]
After all, God looked at what God
created and said, "It is good." [2]


© Andy Costello, Reflection 2010
[1] Psalm 33
[2] Genesis 1

No comments: