Tuesday, December 8, 2009

*


WHERE ARE YOU?

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily is, “Where Are You?”

I remember a sermon from years ago. It was given by Father Andy Cusack. He was preaching on today’s first reading from the book of Genesis – better – when he used the question in today’s first reading, “Where are you?” [Genesis 3:9-15, 20]

He was a diocesan priest – he has since died – from Bridgeport, Ct. and was giving us Redemptorists a retreat at San Alfonso, Retreat House, Long Branch, New Jersey.

I don’t remember anything else from the homily – other than he talked about the question, “Where are you?”

I don’t remember homilies or sermons – especially my own. I have close to 3000 sermons on my computer. I don’t like to repeat myself. Sometimes I look up what I said 10, 20 or 30 years ago and I say to myself, “Oooh! I said that. Ugh! Ouch!”

Where are you?”

In some ways we’re the same; and in some ways, hopefully, we’re different than we were 10, 20 and 30 years ago.

Where are you?

THE BOOK OF GENESIS

One of the beauties of some of the stories in the Book of Genesis is that they took a long, long time to evolve. They kept on being refined – first spoken and then written. They kept on getting better and better in looking at some of the most basic questions of life.


Today’s first reading used for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception gets at questions like, “Where are you?” It talks about having a relationship with God – and then hiding from God. It talks about nakedness – inner and outer – especially inner – being exposed – caught in a mistake – a stupidity – a sin. It’s talking about forbidden fruit – taking forbidden fruit – getting caught – blaming others.

It talks about all this stuff in very poetic and symbolic language. There are people who like snakes – as in, liking them for pets – but I sense the majority of us – see them as “Uh oh’s” – as silent and sneaky crawling creatures sliding along the ground – the dirt – hiding and biting people who get too close to them.

Today’s first reading from Genesis also has a great “Why?” question. “Why did you do such a thing?”

We all know about that one! We know the story. We can relate to blame and shame and doing stupid things. We might not make the paper or evening news – because we’re not a famous athlete or public figure. But we make our own evening news – and sometimes we can’t sleep – even if we tried to pass the blame for doing something sinful and stupid onto others.

WHERE ARE YOU?

Where are you with this feast of the Immaculate Conception?

Where are you right now?

We're here in church right now, but you might be at work – or mulling over something someone said to you yesterday or last week.

I was with 6 of my brother’s 7 daughters and their families for Thanksgiving Week – at Rehoboth Beach this year. I drove back here on that Friday. I still find myself there with them and different things we talked about and things we did together as family.

There I was at this big table with Dylan doing a jigsaw puzzle. It’s part of our Thanksgiving tradition to do a jigsaw puzzle as a family. People stop from time to time to work on a few pieces – and then move onto something new. Through the years, Dylan and I often spent a good bit of time together at the Thanksgiving Week puzzle. He’s a neat kid. He is 100 times better than me doing a jigsaw puzzle. I like doing this kind of puzzle because I’m often somewhere else – or chatting with Dylan or someone – and surprise, surprise, something comes together while we’re talking or being quiet – a piece of the puzzle is solved – or I figure out where a piece of the puzzle of life fits in.

This year, while working on the puzzle, I began to see something new. Dylan was constantly tapping something into his cell phone or whatever the gadget was. I figured he was having a texting conversation – over and over again to a friend back home in Arizona.

A lady had told me recently that she checked the family phone bill and one kid had 700 texts in a week. Wow. And she had only 30 and her husband had only 1 – and when she was telling him about this, he said, “That 1 was done by you – so I have none.”

Where are you? Where are all these people on cell phones and Blackberries and Droids as they are driving – or walking – or stepping outside?

MEETINGS

I was at a meeting up in Pasadena, Maryland, yesterday. It was our regular 2nd Monday of the Month meeting for priests and deacons in our deanery. I always remember at meetings the story of a guy on an elevator after a meeting. Another guy says to him, “Wow that was a boring meeting, but you looked okay with it.” And the other person said, “I was ice fishing in Minnesota.”

Where are you?

CONCLUSION

As we heard in today’s gospel, Mary – a teenage girl – was there in Nazareth – filled with other plans – and surprise, God jumped into her life with other plans. She asked questions. Then she said, “Yes!” [Luke 1: 26-38]

I’m sure for the next 9 months – for the next 10, 20, 30 years, she might have been at the oven or in the carpenter shop or on the road, but I bet you, her mind was somewhere else.

I smile when people confess distractions in prayer. I confess that I think that many times distractions, being somewhere else, is what prayer is all about. Where are you? Where have you been during this Mass so far?



* Painting on top: Mary - part of the Moulins' Triptych in the Moulins' Cathedral. Isn't it a neat picture? It's dated around 1498-99. It was done by the Master of Moulins - an unknown artist as of now. Check it out on Google to see the whole triptych. The notes say the artist has both Flemish and French styles and / or influence.

No comments: