Thursday, September 10, 2009


AFTERNOON CHURCH


Empty – except for the tabernacle.
Empty – me feeling empty walking into the semi darkness.
Empty – seats – hundreds of them – empty but filled with a lot of past.

Sat – somewhere in the empty center of the church.
Sat – relaxed – watching the flickering candles up front – peoples' hopes and prayers reaching for God.
Sat – breathed a sigh – closed my eyes – caught myself.

Prayed – for inner peace.
Prayed – for more faith.
Prayed – for family, friends, for this whole wobbly world.

Heard – the sound a creaking bench.
Heard – an ambulance siren screaming down the street.
Heard – the prayers of a hundred plus years in this old church.

Rose – stood up after 15 minutes – better.
Rose – stood up and genuflected to my Lord and my God.
Rose – stood up and walked out – ready for more moments of life.



© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2009

No comments: