Friday, July 17, 2009


WAITING AT THE GATE 43

The stranger sat there at Gate 43.

I sat there waiting in that same airport alcove.

Now and then the stranger would turn a page
of his big newspaper and as he did,
he would look up to watch whoever was walking by.

I too was watching, reading him
reading people walking by.

I like to watch and wonder about people –
who’s with whom and where are they going?

A loud loudspeaker announced an arriving flight.

The stranger didn’t seem to hear that – even when
a door opened. At that clusters of people stood up
looking for people coming through a doorway.

I love this moment. I love to see people
waiting for people, faces recognizing faces,
wives husbands, parents children,
lovers lovers, friends friends.

The stranger just sat there – still reading his paper.

Then he looked at his watch, folded up his paper.

His face twisted a bit. It seemed negative.

He stood up, and headed out onto
the main walking rug, heading towards an escalator.

Still sitting there, I watched him walk away,
wondering who he was and who he was waiting for.

Quietly, you walked up unnoticed and said, “Hi stranger.”

It was then I saw another person in another chair
watching me – and he had a smile on his face.

It told me he too was waiting and watching.

Now about that stranger …. There are some things
I guess we’ll never know. “Bye stranger.”



© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2009

No comments: