Monday, April 13, 2009


EASTER QUESTION

It’s early Easter morning. I see
clear drops of water on tulips.
I still see winter’s dried dead leaves
caught in hedges. I hear slight sounds
of birds. I get a scent of Spring.
Lent is over. Holy Thursday’s
betrayal kiss has been covered
by blood and wiped off by
back of hand and cloth on Friday.
Saturday’s Upper Room silence is
every family’s sound after a death.
It’s early Easter morning. I hear
Jesus saying to me, “Mary of Magdala
asked me if I was a gardener and
then called me ‘Rabbuni’ and held me.
John saw the empty tomb and believed.
Peter was much slower –
but like Thomas he believed.
Peter told me he loved me three times.
Ok, I sort of forced it out of him.
Now, you? This is your Easter.
Whom do you say I am now?"




© Andy Costello, Easter 2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.greatdanepro.com/Dear%20Jesus/index.htm Fr. Andy, this is a beautiful of "How Great Thou Art" sung by Anne Murray. Thought you might be interested.
Mary Goldbeck