Friday, March 27, 2009

BEYOND DEATH

As she was pouring the coffee, she said,
“I used to be so petrified of cemeteries.
I really was. I always knew
when I was driving by one.
But ever since my husband died,
all that has changed.
Now I go to the cemetery
about once a week.
I told the kids. They’d think I’m crazy.
I know in time it will be less,
but right now this is what I need to do.
It’s become my garden. It’s so quiet.
I go there with my folding chair
and just sit there with my husband
and the Lord. Just for an hour or two.
It’s a great place to pray.
Right there facing his gravestone.
I tell him my troubles.
It’s so soothing, so peaceful, so green there.”

She paused, smiled and then added,
“And I used to be so ... so scared of death.
Ouch. But not any more.
Someday it will be my turn and my
kids will be sitting there at my grave
and they’ll hear me say, ‘I told you so.’”




© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2009

No comments: