Monday, April 28, 2008


BOLLARD

“Who is God to you?”

“God is a bollard?”

“What’s a bollard?”

“It’s one of those solid steel
or iron posts that boats tie up to
when they come home.”

“Oh, I’ve seen them,
but I never knew
what they were called.”

“They are also posts
to stop cars and trucks
from getting into certain areas.
But I like the first meaning
of the word “bollard”: one of those
solid posts on docks
to slip a big, fat,

strong, sturdy rope around.”

“Well, who is God
when you leave harbor?”

“Oh, that’s when I forget God –

that is
till something goes wrong,
till big waves start crashing,
till a storm starts smashing me.

I know God is called, "The Ocean",

but I prefer God,"The Harbor",
and I can’t wait to get home -

and moor my ship to a bollard.”









© Andy Costello,


Reflections 2008

1 comment:

MrC said...

I need a bollard right now. I need to stay in the harbor for a bit. Maybe I will go on retreat.....