Tuesday, March 18, 2008


WAIT A MINUTE!

“Wait a minute!” Haven’t we all said that at times? Haven’t we all said that when we felt a need for a STOP sign – when the traffic of words – or demands – or people pushing – were coming at us too fast– and we didn’t want to crash or be forced off the road or over a cliff.

“Wait a minute!” 3 simple words – that we need to have in our backpack of everyday skills for everyday living.

“Wait a minute!” There are a series of books - that talk about “The One Minute Manager!” Kenneth Blanchard and others challenge people to use one’s time well - to learn how to be aware of the monkeys on one's back, etc.

Wait a minute. Awareness is the first step. The second step is to learn to say politely, calmly, but strongly, “Wait a minute. Let’s talk about this. Let’s negotiate this. Let’s see what’s going on here. Let’s take some space. Let’s work this out.” Or when someone suddenly stops us with the request when we're on the way to do something else, "Do you have a minute?" we can say politely, "Sorry. I don't right now." Or if they read the book, to say with a smile, "I don't want your monkey for my pet."

“Wait a minute!” Without pushing too hard, why not take a minute right now to practice saying a few times? “Wait a minute!” “Wait a minute!” “Wait a minute!” Take a rosary and say it on each bead – 59 times. Say 59 times: “Wait a minute!”

Wait a minute! If you take a minute or two to practice saying that, you’ll find yourself saying it to yourself from time to time – hopefully at the right time.

Wait a minute. Ask: "What am I not seeing?" "Whom am I missing or 'dissing'?"

Wait a minute – what I just said hurt you.

Wait a minute – I’m driving too fast.

Wait a minute – you’re going too fast.

Wait a minute! Don't go there!

Wait a minute! Do I really want to watch this?

Wait a minute – smoking – or drinking – or using these drugs will do damage to my body, my brain, my lungs, my liver.

Wait a minute, I’m wasting my life with too much sitting around.

Wait a minute, I want to save this for marriage.

Wait a minute, this is cheating.

Wait a minute – I’m not allowing God into my life.

Wait a minute – I’m not really trying. I’m just going through the motions.

Wait a minute, I’m not helping around the house.

Wait a minute, I just dumped my empty coffee cup on the tarmac of the parking lot and someone has to pick it up.

Wait a minute, I’m hurting here and I need to talk to someone about this.

Wait a minute, it only takes 15 to 30 seconds to say a prayer before eating or going to bed – or after waking up in the morning.

Wait a minute, it only takes a short phone call or e-mail to connect with someone I haven’t heard from in a while.

Wait a minute! Look before you leap. A whole life can change in a minute.

Wait a minute, confession only takes a minute. It’s good for the soul. It’s good to say, “These are my sins” and hear ourselves say what we’re sorry for saying or doing or not doing. Presidents and governors, parents and teachers, all of us find it difficult to say, “I made a mistake.” Say it: “I sinned!” “I was selfish!” “I didn’t stop to think before I spoke.”

Wait a minute. I need a minute to think about this.

© Andy Costello.
March 18, 2008
[I wrote this for yesterday's
St. Mary's High School
Penance service -
then adapted it a tiny bit
for a wider blog audience
last night.]

No comments: