Tuesday, March 4, 2008

38

Thirty-eight years:
now that’s a long time
to be stuck in one place.

Thirty-eight years seeing people
coming and going –
but not me – not changing –
not being able to overcome
this problem of mine.
Never mind!
I just can’t change.
I just can’t do it.
Never.
No how.
Impossible.

Thirty-eight years.
It took me thirty-eight years
to hear him say,
“Do you want to be well?”
“Of course,” I answered,
but then came my excuses –
the circumstances,
the what if’s and back then’s,
and the names of the people
I blame for me being who I am
and the way I am – and this and that.

He laughed.
He healed me.
It took him less than 38 seconds.
He didn’t even plunge me
into the deep waters,
into the pool,
into some long program,
so I could be healed.
He just said, “Stand up!
Get off the mat. Walk!”

And that was that – just like that.



Poetic Homily for 4 Tuesday Lent

No comments: