Friday, August 17, 2007



CONGRATULATIONS


Looking for a neat Christmas gift? Margaret Wohlgemuth Burroughs of St. Mary’s Parish, Annapolis, has finished her labor of love – the book: Close-ups of History. It contains marvelous black and white photos by her late husband, AP Photographer, Henry Burroughs. It also has anecdotes and memoirs that Peg and so many others encouraged him to write down after his retirement and before his death in 2000.

You might have seen Peg’s picture and the front page story about the book in the Lifestyle section of last Sunday’s Annapolis Capital (August 12, 2007). The story was entitled, “A Focus on History” by Staff Writer, Theresa Winslow.

It would make not only a good coffee table and waiting room book, but also a book to sit on a couch with – going through the history of seven presidents of the United States from 1944 – 1974. I could picture lots of people doing this – alone or with a kid or grandkid.

When I mentioned the book to Evelyn Phelps of St. Mary’s – who has an astute eagle’s eye when it comes to editing – her first question was, “Who published it?” I told her, “University of Missouri Press.” She said, “I am impressed. They are top notch when it comes to historical books.” I said, “I didn’t know that.” She said, “Stick around kid and you’ll learn a lot more.”

Get this book and you’ll learn a lot more.

Last Sunday after Mass I got my first Christmas gift for 2007 – an autographed copy from Peg. Thanks Peg. I plan to buy some copies at our local book store for gifts.

No comments: