Thursday, November 14, 2019


PRAYING WITH 
THE BOOK OF WISDOM


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily is, “Praying With the Book of  Wisdom.”

We get today’s first reading - Wisdom 7: 22b-8:1 - only once in the Lectionary and only every other year - on this 32 Thursday in Ordinary Time.

If you have some time today step back in here and read this reading - hear this reading again - before it slides back into unconsciousness.

It’s all about Wisdom - SOPHIA - in Greek and I am not conscious of ever praying for wisdom - for SOPHIA.  Maybe I did at my confirmation - but that period in my life,  I was unconscious. As well as today ….

This reading  describes wisdom with about 40 different descriptions.

BACKGROUND

Last night I  did  a little bit of research to come up with a short homily for this morning,

The Book of Wisdom is not in the Jewish Bible - which has a few books of wisdom - but not as many as the Septuagint - which becomes the Old Testament of   the Catholic Bible.

Next I tried to find out if there was a copy - in Greek - of this book in the Qumran Caves. In other words -  was it found in the Dead Sea Scrolls caves? There were a few Greek documents in there.  Nope - not the Book of Wisdom as far as I could figure - sniffing around the Internet

Hebrew thought and theology had the theme of wisdom - especially in 3 wisdom Books in the Hebrew Bible: Job, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.

First let me describe what kind of literature, wisdom is not.

It’s not historical memories - like the exodus and the wars to get land. It does not deal with the covenant, or the Temple or Jerusalem.

It’s not the prophets.

Wisdom literature has different concerns: for example, maintaining good relationships and understanding human experiences.

The Book of Wisdom - called Wisdom -  today’s first reading - which is only in the Septuagint - is the last of the Old Testament books - from around the first century before Christ.

It would be an attempt to help Jewish folks in Alexandria - how to be up to date with their Greek counterparts.

I need to take more time as well as prayer on Wisdom and the Jewish wisdom literature.

CONCLUSION

I do love the Eastern Rite custom in their liturgy of holding up the readings - the Lectionary -  in the air as they chant, “Wisdom Be Attentive.”

When about to work on a homily I like to put my hands on the Bible, the Lectionary or the readings of the day and say, “Wisdom Be Attentive.”

So when you have some time, read today’s first reading again - and reflect upon all the words it uses to express what SOPHIA is.

No comments: