Tuesday, November 10, 2015


ENVY  KILL US  EVERY TIME


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 32nd Tuesday in Ordinary Time is, “Envy Kills Us Every Time.”

In the second sentence of today’s first reading I noticed the word “envy”.

Let me read the opening paragraph of today’s first reading again. “God formed us to be imperishable; the image of his own nature he made us.  But by the envy of the Devil, death entered the world, and they who are in his possession experience it.” [Wisdom 2:23-24]

FIRST THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN ENVY AND JEALOUSY


People often mix up the meanings of envy and jealousy.

It’s not a big deal, but I think knowing the distinction can help us to be more aware of what’s going on within us at times.

Envy is wanting something I don’t have.  Jealousy is being afraid to lose what I have.

These two evils - sins - can destroy us.

In this short homily I just want to focus on envy - the wanting to have what I don’t have.

TWO  KEY QUESTIONS

What do others have that I don’t have? Skills? Stuff?

Do any of these irk me, make me ugly, cause me stress?

For example, I have no skills in music. I tried the trombone and the piano - and gave up on both. Does that make me envious of those who have great musical gifts. I believe the answer is no.  I don’t like people making fun of me for having a tin ear - or being off key - or what have you.

It would have been nice to have had speed when running. Once more I’m realistic - that I was not a fast runner. Envious - a bit.

At times I wish I could have a good hand when it comes to drawing. My mother, my sister Mary and my nephew Gerard have that gene or skill or whatever it is. I tried it, but nope, no luck in that department.

So once more those two questions: what do I lack and does it kill me that others have certain gifts and I don’t have them.

SIGNS OR EVIDENCE OF ENVY

If you envy, you’ll never be satisfied

Envy is its own torture. It can become an inner itch that irritates the underneath side of my soul.

When you envy, you’re telling yourself, I feel inferior.

Those who have it all - leave a trail of envious people.

The greatest mischief you can do to the envious is to do even better or have even more.

Scratch a bitter person and you’re looking at an envious person.

There is a Tamil quote, “Envy has you when it’s refreshing to hear that there was a fight in a neighbor’s house.”

Here is an envy comment - that has an interesting complexity mixed in: Envy has you if you’re trim - and you get that secret delight in standing next to a fat person.

CONCLUSION

This morning I’m simply asking to look at the reality of envy. It appears in today’s first reading from Wisdom - where the author of Wisdom says that the envy of the devil is what brought death into our land.

Learn how the ability to laugh about all this makes a lot of sense.

Discover I have gifts and others wish they had mine. You’re kidding.


Reflect about envy and how my lacks can force me to make leaps and come up with new understandings about life. 

No comments: