Monday, September 10, 2012



LOST SUPPER      

CAUGHT ON CAMERA


One evening, just sitting there
in a restaurant at a table
with 4 or 5 others,
I became all alone
after a dumb comment.

Self destruction silences me.

It can also ruin my meal.

It can also bring an insight,
a self revelation - a new knowledge
about me - about life - about others.

Cutting remarks - a caustic comment
like a steak knife scratching a white plate -
causes those around the table
to shrug shoulders and wince eyes. 

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb me.
I don’t pause enough before I speak.
I have a MeTube collection of these
un-thought out spoken thoughts - long before
YouTube movies made their appearance.

Delete. Delete. Delete. But somehow
they won’t or don’t  or can’t disappear.

I sit there alone - at that table with 5 -
replaying some other moment in my life,
in some other restaurant 
where this same thing happened before. 
Why can’t these re-runs 
disappear so I can enjoy a meal 
and communion with my friends?



© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2012

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Why can't we stop? Cause we're frail human beings with a proclivity toward sin. Its a mystery of our being. But amazingly God loves us and cherishes us still and always.