Friday, August 24, 2012


COME AND SEE

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this feast of St. Bartholomew - August 24, is, “Come and See!”

TODAY’S GOSPEL FROM JOHN

"Come and see" is a comment by Philip to Nathaniel in today’s Gospel - after he says, “Can anything good come from Nazareth?” [John 1: 45-51]

We know that Nathaniel is thought to be the Apostle Bartholomew by some, so that’s why we have this Gospel text from John for St. Bartholomew's feast day.

So Philip says to Nathaniel, “Come and see!” And he brings him to Jesus.

“Come and see.” [John 1: 46]  The Greek is basically the same sentence Jesus uses a few verses earlier in that same first chapter of John to Andrew [John 1: 39].

“Come and see!”

COMMON EXPERIENCE

It’s a common experience we’ve all had.

We’re talking with someone and they don’t seem to be getting our explanation - so we say, “Wait a minute. Come and see!”  And we get up and bring the person to the thing we’re trying to explain. We show them what we’re talking about.

Several times I’ve been in St. Mary’s Parking lot and someone asks how to get downtown. I start explaining - then I stop and say, “Come follow me.” Then I bring them through the garden into the rectory - and then to the front door - and then I point to Newman Street across the street and say, “Walk down that street and turn left at the bottom and you’ll see Ego Alley and the Naval Academy and Main Street.”

“Come and see.”

Once upon a time I was out talking my afternoon walk heading for a walk through the Naval Academy. I walked down Newman Street. At the bottom - just across from the playground and basketball court - a lady standing outside her car yelled over, “Sir. Sir!” 

I went over. She wanted to know where a downtown bed and breakfast where she was staying with her husband was. I began explaining. She wasn’t getting what I was pointing towards.  She said she had tried 2 times - and got lost each time and had to go back up to the top of the street and come around again - going down Duke of Gloucester Street both times.

“Oh,” I said, “Okay, is it alright for me to get into your car with you and I’ll get you over there? I’m heading towards the Naval Academy for a walk.”

Then I added, “Relax. I’m a priest.” 

She laughed and said, “That’s okay. My husband is a monsignor.” 

Then as we were driving the 3 minute drive over there to the street behind Storm Brothers Ice-cream, she says, “We’re members of the Old Catholic Church which allows married priests.”  Then she told me that her husband and she were visiting Annapolis. He had a touch of something and she went out to find a drug store and buy Imodium. Then she invited me  into the bed and breakfast to meet her husband the monsignor. We had to wait a minute or two because he was in a special room.

Come and see.

CONCLUSION: EXPERIENCING JESUS

There have been various programs in the Catholic Church entitled, “Come and See!” For  vocation promotion, we Redemptorists have “Come and See” weekends. We can’t become monsignors, but we do promote what we can become - hopefully good priests and brothers.

Hopefully all of us know we can talk about Jesus - but when people come and see us - hopefully they come and see and experience Jesus in more than words.

Walk the walk is better than talking the talk.

Or as the song goes, “Don’t talk about love, show me!”

Come and see in me - the love of Jesus Christ for thee.



OOOOOOOO

PAINTING ON TOP: St. Bartholomew - holding his flayed skin in a Last Judgment scene by Michelangelo





No comments: